When my daughter entered us in our local town bake-off I couldn’t think of a better submission than a lemon cake. The fact that the town is called Pound Ridge made it an even more appropriate choice. Everyone should have a great lemon cake recipe, its the perfect accompaniment to a lazy brunch, dressed up for a summer soiree or just nice to have around the house for a snacking cake when the unexpected visitor drops by for a cup of coffee or evening glass of wine.
I’ve made this recipe numerous times and prefer to bake it in a bundt ban adorned with fresh strawberries. It works equally well in 2 loaf pans. I’m proud to say our entry for Lemon Pound Cake made second place in the bake-off, next year we’ll surely aim for first!
Lemon Pound Cake
Credit: Adapted from Smitten Kitchen who adapted it from Ina Garten
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups sugar (reserve 1/2 cup of sugar for syrup)
- 4 extra-large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (from 6-8 lemons)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup plus 3 1/2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 inch bundt pan.
- Cream butter and 2 cups of sugar (leaving the last 1/2 cup for the syrup) in the bowl of an electric mixer for about 5 min, or until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time at medium speed and add lemon zest.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In a separate smaller bowl combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk mixtures to butter and sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth the top, bake for approx 45 min until cake tester comes out clean. Let cool for 10 mins and invert on a rack over a tray.
- While cake is baking, make soaking syrup by combining remaining 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan, cook over low heat until sugar dissolves. Spoon syrup over cake while its cooling on a rack fitted over a sheet pan.
- To make the glaze: confectioners sugar and remaining 3 1/2 tbs lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cakes allowing glaze to drizzle down the sides. Garnish with fresh berries.