Warning, once you’ve tried grilling your romaine hearts you may never go back. Below is a simple recipe for homemade Caesar Salad, no raw egg and the option to make it entirely vegan. Try mixing up your greens to include radicchio, the bright purple will add a nice pop of color. If you don’t have access to an outdoor grill, the broiler works just fine. Top charred lettuce with this tangy dressing, loads of parmesan cheese, fresh cracked pepper and optional soft boiled egg or grilled chicken!
Grilled Caesar Salad
Created for Equal Parts
- For Dressing:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 3 anchovies, minced (omit to make recipe vegan)
- 1 tbs capers, drained and chopped
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Dash of salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 heads of romaine or little gem lettuce, rinsed and cut in half leaving cores intact
- 2 heads of radicchio, rinsed and cut in thick slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Olive oil for coating lettuce
- Heat outdoor grill to high, let heat eventually reduce to medium heat and coat with cooking spray. If using broiler, turn broiler to high and line a baking sheet with tinfoil rubbed with oil.
- Prepare dressing by combining garlic, anchovies, shallot, capers, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl, mixing well to combine. Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified and set aside.
- Place the halved romaine heads of radicchio on the grill or baking sheet cut side down and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill or broil for approximately 3 mins keeping a close eye as it can charr pretty quickly.
- Flip lettuce, drizzle lightly with additional olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Return to the grill or oven for another 2 mins.
- Transfer lettuce to a serving plate and drizzle generously with dressing. Add some more cheese and fresh cracked pepper. Serve with a soft boiled egg if desired.