Everyone needs a go-to chocolate banana bread recipe. It’s the number one requested dessert in our house so I am always looking to improve upon my recipe. A bunch of overly ripe bananas called for another go at it this morning. I stumbled upon this irresistable looking recipe from Half Baked Harvest swapping butter or vegetable oil for coconut oil and the sugar for honey. Halfway through my baking I realized that I didn’t have enough chocolate chips so raided my pantry for leftover Halloween candy and broke up old pieces of Hershey bars. I think it did the trick, highly recommend trying this update to an old classic! Recipe pasted below:
Chocolaty Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread
- 4 overly ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×5 inch pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together mashed bananas, coconut oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until center is just set. Remove and let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Try smearing a tbs or two of almond butter, Yum!