Birthday cakes have always been a homemade affair in my family. My grandma was famous for her chocolate fudge brownie cake, my mom was known for her ice cream cakes and I’m proud to say, I can finally stake claim to my own favorite birthday cake: The Best Ever Banana Cake! My daughter turns 7 this weekend and to my shock (and horror) she is insisting on a completely naked (no frosting whatsoever, Mom) cake and so I’m begrudgingly indulging her wishes with my standard chocolate chip banana bread cake this year. In honor of her birthday, I wanted to share what I consider the best darn birthday cake. I’ve made this Best Ever Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting for my daughter for the past six years in both cake and cupcake form. Sidenote, she is also not a chocolate cake lover so this became my go-to. What I love most about this recipe is that the cake can be made days and even weeks in advance. Recipe is below.
Happy Birthday sweet Sylvie, may all your wishes come true (even if they include non frosted cakes)!
- 1 1⁄2cups bananas mashed, ripe
- 2teaspoons lemon juice
- 3cups flour
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄8cups sugar
- 3large eggs
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2cups buttermilkCream Cheese Frosting:
1⁄2cup butter, softened
1(8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 1⁄2cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 275°F (I know it’s cooked low and slow)
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan (or two 9 inch rounds or two muffin pans)
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist. (This step is key!)
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Decorate with sprinkles!!!